Friday, May 16, 2008

First Post

I am not sure that I will have the time to keep up with frequent posts on this blog, but I'm going to give it a shot. In many cases, I might just link items I think are important reading, hoping to glean others' thoughts on them. I am an American traveler of sorts, living in Oman for now. I am professionally interested in the Middle East and its people, politics, and culture (all of which can be maddeningly difficult to understand at times). My comments may often cause dismay or disdain, but they are all in an attempt to analyze and understand the things I see. I think there is a great deal to be learned by stirring things up a bit in a forum where people can discuss their thoughts without the face-to-face interaction that can lead to false politeness or physical hostility. Hopefully, people will logically argue their points of view, whether they agree with my comments or not. We can all learn through this.

1 comment:

Suburban said...

Good looking blog so far. Keep it up, and Thanks for the link!

I love Amin Maylouf, he's insanely talented. I just read samarkand, and found it unsettelingly relevant to the Oman and greater M.E. of today.

Another good one with scary relevance is a Half a yellow sun, set during the Biafran war in Nigeria.

Keep it up, we'll be reading you.