Sunday, May 18, 2008

Gulf Branding

Secret Dubai Diary posted some very thought provoking comments regarding what countries of the region, especially Dubai, will need to do in order to build a lasting tourism sector.

If the Gulf countries really want to capitalize on tourism revenues (or thrive as a global business hub for that matter), it seems there will be some thorny issues to consider, as Secret Dubai Diary points out. Who will want to walk around attractions like Dubailand on holiday in the heat if they cannot have a bottle of water and an ice cream cone? How will business address the fall of revenue as visitors shy away when Ramadan hits at peak times? I'm not sure of the laws in Dubai, but if these businesses are able to get permission to serve food and drink in the day during Ramadan, will there be blow-back from sectors of the Muslim population? Booze is less of an issue, but when non-Muslims consider paying the big bucks it takes to stay in Dubai for holiday, many people will decide to go elsewhere if they can't tip a few to unwind from their stressful lives.

At a more subtle level, I have heard and read many comments of both citizens and expats who get indignant about how visitors to Dubai dress (i.e. scantily clad women in the malls). I'm a bit torn on this. I feel like I am a guest living in Oman, so I have no problem respecting the local culture. Yet, when I go to Dubai, a place that wants to make revenue off of drawing in visitors from all over the world who pay ridiculous amounts to stay there, I feel as if people should be a bit more at liberty to dress and do as they please. If the citizens of Dubai feel differently, they and their leadership are going to have to do some serious soul-searching as to whether they want to become a global brand and sell their soul for the massive revenues or hold on to their conservatism and find another way to make money. They may have already crossed the Rubicon, though, as the massive amount of speculatory construction there is going to demand continued economic development to stave off an implosion.

It seems to me that Oman's tourism model is a bit different. Whereas Dubai is making itself up in the model of cities that are decidedly not conservative (who hasn't heard a comparison of Dubai to "Sin City" Las Vegas), Oman is trying to attract people to its natural beauty and quiet traditional settings. In this, Oman does not have to give up quite as much of its identity to draw people to this niche market.

In a related story on Gulf brands, Al-Jazeera English is having a difficult time breaking into the critical American market. That's no surprise. I haven't watched AJ English much. I find AJ Arabic to be less of the devil-child than many Americans make it out to be, especially when you consider the audience it is aimed at. If you look at the differences between CNN and FoxNews, and realize that their audiences think that both are fair and balanced, you have to imagine that Arab audiences are going to demand a much different spin for their news. This is all well and good if AJ is a brand for the Arab world. If AJ wants to become a global brand, it has quite a bit of work to do to clean up its image in the West. Marketing and business have little to do with fairness. If you please one market by pissing another market off, don't expect the other market to come running to you just because you start broadcasting in their language. Again, the question is: do you want to give up some of your freedom to be provocative in order to make money as a global brand or do you want to maintain what you see as your integrity at the expense of revenue?

4 comments:

Muscato said...

I'm afraid the biggest hurdle Al Jazeera International will face in the U.S. market is that it's just too damn smart: long form investigations, lots of coverage of Africa, Asia, and the general southern hemisphere, and way more detail than U.S. viewers are used to.

Compared to Katie Couric or the horror that is domestic CNN (let alone Fox), it's the news equivalent of reading Proust.

Leo Americanus said...

As fun as it is to highlight just how stupid Americans are, the truth is that there is a niche market for the incredibly tiny population of Americans with a brain (that is compared to the high proportion of uber-intellectuals found in all other parts of the world, especially Europe).

I fully agree that American news programming sucks and I don't watch it. I haven't for years. So, were I to turn on the TV in the US, I'd be likely to tune in to something a bit "smarter" as would a portion of Americans. The only problem with this niche market is that, at least in my case, if I've got time to sit around, I'm more likely to be reading a book or getting my weekly Economist fix, so I'm not a loyal viewer that could support the market. So not only would the "smarter" AJ have to convince Americans it is not the mouthpiece of the devil, it would also have to get their market to actually turn on the TV.

By the way, with my American intelligence and attention span, I don't really read the Economist. I stick with the comics and Newsweek, which thankfully seems to trim itself down by 10 pages every year. What was I saying? Gotta go, Springer's on.

Muscato said...

You're absolutely right - if they bring smart stuff, at least a slice of media consumers do come - one of my favorite stats is that in fact more Americans watch the BBC for news (either on BBC America or or BBC World) than Fox.

I'm just saying that getting the slot on cable lineups in the U.S., given the combo of Al Jazeera's toxic (and mostly undeserved) rep as an anti-American, anti-semitic outlet AND it's fondness for longer forms, offbeat news, and investigation and analysis, is an uphill slog.

Believe me - check out my blog and you'll see I'm no enemy of the frivolous!

(and I'm a total Yank to boot - just an NPR-ish sort of one)

Leo Americanus said...

NPR. Ahhhhh. There is something about NPR, even when they are saying stuff that I don't agree with, that brings down my blood pressure by about 10 points. I can't wait until I can listen to NPR in the car again. Its the little things like that that keep the anger sharks away...