Sunday, July 13, 2008

Attitudes About Work and Expats

I have gotten myself into an argument about foreign workers in the Gulf, and specifically Oman, with a commenter on the Muscat Confidential blog. See the comments for this post.

I have very little respect for some Omanis' (and other Gulf Arabs') attitude of "if you don't like it, just get out." The reason why I have this lack of respect is because, while nearly every country is dependent on foreign labor to some extent, the dependence on foreign labor in the Gulf is nearly complete. These rapidly expanding economies surely need a larger than normal portion of foreign labor due to their small populations and high growth rates. This is normal. What is not normal are cultural attitudes toward work.

My final days in Oman give a good example of what I am talking about. The moving crew that boxed, wrapped, and carried my goods out of my place were from a number of Asian nations. They were very professional, hard-working, and congenial. I was far more satisfied with the work they did than I have been with any of the experiences I had moving around America. When it came time for them to crate all my goods on trucks, the obligatory Omani driver came out with a truck. At least in Oman, unlike a number of other Gulf countries, jobs like taxi and truck driving, and some non-labor intensive service jobs are done by Omanis in an attempt to decrease reliance on foreign labor. Yet, when the driver showed up to the house (and I had similar experiences in other situations with Omani truck drivers, so this is not a unique instance) he did not partake in any of the labor. He quickly realized that it was too hot outside for him to stand idly by, watching the foreign laborers carrying heavy boxes under the sun, so he asked if he could come inside and sit on my couch while they worked. So he sat there in his immaculate white dishdasha, text messaging on his cell phone while the rest of the crew toiled away.

Every once in a while I'd go from my tidying up inside to check on the progress outside and to take the workers some juice and water. Most of the time the Omani driver was on the couch, but twice I found him correcting something he didn't like about how the foreign laborers were working in the terms and tone one would use with a child. Of course, the workers had to stand and take his abuse in the most deferential of manners.

I cannot respect people who imagine that their culture and heritage makes them so much better than others that they cannot lower themselves to hard work. In this, I do not mean to say that all Arabs or all Omanis fall into this categorization, but I mean to say that I do not respect those who imagine themselves to be too good to work like others, whether those others are expat laborers or managers. Perhaps my thinking is skewed or I have an undue cultural bias, but to me, this mindset seems to be the most breathtaking sort of arrogance, and an incredible twist of logic coming from a people whose recent ancestors eked a living out of the harshest of environments through incredibly hard work.

The driver in question told me how hard it was to make enough money to live on these days as he sat idle on the couch while a dozen foreigners worked away. Imagine this. If each Omani driver took active part in the labor of moving boxes, or assembling deliveries, or whatever else the three foreigners packed in the cab with him do, instead of sitting idle while they do the work that is beneath him, the companies could do without one of those foreigners. With one less foreigner to pay (because the driver was now doing his job), they could afford to pay that driver more. Companies would be more productive and Omani drivers would be making more.

In the U.S., the driver of a delivery or moving truck works just as hard as the others. Often he or she is more experienced and is the supervisor, but a supervisor that works in lifting, moving, assembling, etc. There is no free ride. When I've been moved within the U.S., the driver of the moving truck has often been the owner of the tractor-trailer rig, which is an asset well in excess of $100,000. These driver-owners have been among the hardest working movers I've witnessed, sweating with the day laborers in order to raise their productivity and their profit. They are not making money while sitting idle.

Someday, the drivers and other workers in Oman and around the Gulf will have to realize that their culture and heritage do not truly excuse them from hard work. In fact, they should be proud of the hard lives their ancestors led and should resolve to do some hard work themselves, in the interest of improving their own lot and that of their country. When the majority start working as hard as the expats, I will have much more respect for the attitude "like it or leave it."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spot on. Well said. Good luck wherever you are.

Bobindubai

muscati said...

When I moved into my house earlier this year I used Gulf Agency. The crew was mixed Indians and Omanis, and the Omanis worked just as hard as the expats in carrying boxes and unboxing. I was extremely impressed.

The new furniture that I bought was mostly from ID Design. It was delivered and assembled by an entirely Omani crew. They assembled all the furniture, then cleaned up all the boxes and leftover trash and left. Refused to even stay for some cold drinks.

All the appliances which I bought from Khimji Bait Al Ahlam were also delivered and assembled by an entirely Omani crew.

The furniture which I bought from Dubai I had transported to Oman by Roadrunners Transport. Omani driver with one Indian helper. The Omani driver refused to help the Indian, so I carried the sofas with him.

It all comes down to each company's attitude towards its workers. Companies that treat their workers well, pay them well, and train them to do the job, they generally get rewarded with workers who perform. Other companies hire Omanis only to meet Omanization quotas and never bother to try to train them to do the job. They don't even expect them to perform.

It's easy to say that all Omanis have an attitude towards menial jobs or that Omanis will never do menial jobs on their own and will rely entirely on foreign workers. But it is not.

The other day I was reading a Kuwaiti blog and the topic was "would you accept to be served by Kuwaiti waiter?". Waiting on tables is not exactly the same construction, but in Oman there are Omani waiters in all the hotels. Omanis do work some construction jobs. Yes, there are lots and lots of lazy Omani bastards with attitude like the one you describe, but thankfully not all Omanis are like that.

Leo Americanus said...

Muscati,
Thanks for your comment. I appreciate you taking the time to provide me and other readers with examples to demonstrate that my sample was narrow, rather than just flaming me. Obviously, you have a much wider experience in Oman and had more opportunity to see different companies at work. Unfortunately, it seems that my sample of delivery crews was poor with regard to how the Omanis acted. I am glad to hear that Omanis are doing such work in other companies. But, as both my experience and your experience with the one lazy driver show, there is still a problem to be overcome. I think the best way that it can be overcome is by people like you, who show the truck driver that, while he imagines himself to be above such work, you (at a much higher socio-economic station) do not. Slowly, such things, leadership by example, make big changes. Furthermore, when that lazy driver starts talking about how he's too good for such work, some Omani friend or relative that might happen to work for iDesign or one of the other companies you mentioned will tell him how messed up his thinking is.

A central component of building stronger states and economies in the region will have to be an improvement in the creation of well-educated citizens prepared to do a range of tasks from menial laborers, to clerical functionaries, to the highest levels of management. But not everyone can be a manager. "The world needs ditch diggers too." Sometimes, the best and more influential leaders and managers are the ones who worked up from the ranks of the ditch diggers, or at least did some ditch digging while in college, etc.

Anonymous said...

The driver is acting as a driver does in Oman irrespective of the nationality.
My first job in Oman 20 year ago was as manager of a retail/wholesale/import business. I was amazed that for even a small delivery so many people were needed, a driver, a box carrier, a sales man. 2 of whom would watch the other work . Of course they were shocked that a manager would carry the boxes - though not as appalled as they then had no choice but to do the same.
For the unionized people of Kerala- in their own state job division is key to work protocol and other groups will have their own dynamics. Your driver probably learnt his trade from one better versed than he in job descriptions.

10 years later I later had all Omani staff that was hardworking, cheerful and flexible in job roles

Leo Americanus said...

Oman,
I'd like for you to clarify your comments. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the Indian workers you experienced (you mention Kerala) had strictly divided work duties due to experience in their home state. This makes sense if strict unionization has been used to create more jobs for compatriots by forcing employers to make a position for everyone. It makes for a logical root explanation for what seems to be irrational laziness. Add Omani drivers into the mix, and expat workers tell him not to help, they can do it all, in an effort to protect their jobs. This enriches the causation for the way things are, but... there is still a lot of blame to share around. And, as I've alluded to before, Oman is the best of a bad lot in the Gulf when it comes to work ethic.

Oman, please comment again to correct my interpretation of your remarks and if anyone else can jump in on the Indian or other expat influence on division of labor, please do so.

Anonymous said...

Leo – yes; 20 years ago the staff of the business I worked for were all Indian sub-continent; majority from Kerala which in the late 50s became a communist (I think Marxist) state in India . In Kerala (I was told by a Keralite) a person moving house cannot do the work themselves they must ( are forced to ) employ specialized staff – this and innumerable other anecdotes (given by Keralites to me ) reinforces my perception of their attitude that employment of other people is preferable to even automation of tasks – the Luddites would be on home ground (though a self employed Keralite is a different person entirely). Add in caste and so on – it’s an interesting situation when transported into Oman. As Muscati said; Omani teams can be very hard working and obliging and it was that type in a different company 10 years later . It needs a long term approach (as always) to deal with this type of issue …..and of course it’s a topic that a comment on a blog can't do justice to

Al Nims Media said...

Interesting post, and yes, I have come across a lot of these "lazy" Omanis who think they were born only to drive cars/drink Dew/eat sandwich, and nothing else. But, again, like Muscati said, the attitude varies from company to company...the Omani gas guy who comes to my house is very polite...so is our office boy...

Last time when I came back from my holidays, we opted for the pre-paid cab from Muscat airport, and to my utter disbelief the Omani driver loaded 3 huge suitcases in the boot without my help and unloaded at my destination without any fuss...I noticed his neat dishdasha got crumpled in the act. Very professional he was.

Undercover Dragon said...

where are you off to Leo?

will you keep up the blog? - I hope!

Anonymous said...

If you want to try hard work, how about planting geophones in the desert in 50C ? You work up to 12 hours a day, every day, for the magnificent salary of approx 150 OR per month, and you have to be Omani. There's lots of young Omanis doing this work, and I'm impressed by their attitude to work.

Unknown said...

First-hand experience here,and i can relate to this blog. Im an asian senior tech here and was handling all the hard work at baggage handling in airport, when i tried to give one simple task to an omani subordinate he arrogantly refuse and simply said to me to do it my self. never again i given this entitled guy any task ever since. now he just sleep at work every F-ing day

Rajat said...

Thanks For sharing this wonderful blog.
Get The Best Driver Service In Muscat or Driver Services At Muscat Home Which Starts at 150 Rial Only avail fast this limited time offer for more info call us at +968 9503 1616.

360degreejobs said...

360degreejobs offers you the best opportunity to Hire Experienced Driver for oman. The best part to Hire Professional Driver in Oman from Sri Lanka is that you still get to relax in an automobile and have complete control over the vehicle's quality and standard. We operate other services in Gulf countries like guard, nursing, housemaids and many more. If you want to know more about our services then,

Contact us - +91–7303139390
Visit our site - http://360degreejobs.com/get-driver-in-oman/

digidas said...

best website for helpfull content is digidas.co